No classes this year!
Supported by grants from the ACM and Teagle Foundation, Adam Loy (formerly of Lawrence University, now Carleton College), Shonda Kuiper (Grinnell College) and I developed some RStudio tutorials and Case Studies to teach concepts in Data Science. These materials are available at Grinnell College: R Tutorials in Data Science. Or you can download these from Github (R Markdown files, data sets).
Recent Student Projects Supervised:
- The Mathematics and Statistics Department now offers a Statistical Consulting course here at Carleton. Many of the student statistics projects I have supervised are done under the auspices of this class.
- Summer statistical consulting 2013: Sophia Davis, Samuel Ihlenfeldt, Hilary Marshall. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency: Analysis of rising airborne formaldehyde concentrations in Minnesota.
- Senior Comps 2012-2013: Megan Bakken, Cassie Mullie, Yansong Pang, Wenli Rui Faribault Woolen Mill The Effect of Spinning Machine Speed on the Performance of Yarn.
- Senior Comps 2010-2011: Landon Chang, Daniel Levy, Charlie Liu, Amartya Sinha Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Mercury Levels in Fish: A Linear-Mixed Models Approach.
- Senior Comps 2009-10: Ben Haynor, Dan Lojovich, Sadaf Sultan
An introduction to queueing theory with applications to queues on the Carleton campus
- Senior Comps 2008-09: Joseph Lindner, Samantha Morin, Khanh Nguyen, Max Olivier
CMS Direct Product Purchasing Analysis
- Summer Research 2008: Daniel Able & Andy Lithio (St. Olaf College);
Piaomu Liu & Bassirou Sarr (Carleton College)
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Statewide Survey of Minnesota Lake Sediments:
Recommendations on Statistical Methods for the Analysis of Anthropogenic Background Concentrations of Metals with Left-Censored Data
- Senior Comps 2006-07: Emily Bercos-Hickey, Fred Cudhea, Toshiki Tanaka, Tara Van Velzen, Jake Zivin
Target Corporation Modeling Resource Costs of Security Incidents
- Senior Comps 2005-06: Maria Bruun, Jennifer Grover, Andrew Little, Molly Miller, Pei Zhuan
Northwest Airlines Understanding and Predicting Passenger Behavior